Who is APARAVI?
APARAVI is a Software as a Service (SaaS) provider that reduces long term cloud data storage costs by 75% with a full featured web-based software service for any size organization retaining data to local, offsite, and generic s3 object stores.
APARAVI provides flexibility and cost savings:
- Customers can move their data from one cloud to another.
- The patent-pending Retention technology reduces the storage required on premises or in cloud, delivering economics that accelerate business innovation, growth, and long-term success.
What benefits does APARAVI provide?
- APARAVI protects your organization by storing critical data in cloud storage vendor(s) of your choice with the ability to seamlessly migrate between other more cost-effective cloud storage destinations resulting in the elimination of vendor lock and substantial reduction of your organization’s overall cost of storage.
- APARAVI proactively minimizes your organization’s overall data Retention footprint (at the file level) while automatically adhering to long term data Retention and disposition policies.
- APARAVI is built from the ground up by industry experts utilizing cutting edge technology designed specifically for a SaaS approach including multi-tenancy and a multi-tier architecture which reduces your organization’s installation and maintenance burden while giving you the confidence of utilizing a modern purpose-built application.
- APARAVI utilizes aggressive value-based pricing in line with contemporary usage-based pricing models making it simple for you and your organization to effectively plan for your overall long-term data Retention requirements.
Why should I trust APARAVI with my data?
- Aparavi founders, early investors, development engineers, and a majority of all employees consist of an elite group of industry veterans who:
- Have built a SaaS active archive solution that meets and exceeds traditional data storage needs, both in the short-term and long-term
- Are committed to making cloud storage a truly cost-effective solution while meeting all corporate governance requirements
- Aparavi’s patent-pending retention technology enables customers to reduce their long-term storage costs by up to 75%.
- Following a SaaS model, Aparavi makes it extremely easy for customers to install and centrally manage both immediate and long-term data retention requirements.
- Aparavi publishes the format of the data, allowing 3rd party tools the ability to read and thus recover data, and removing the concern of vendor lock-in.
How does APARAVI work?
- APARAVI uses a three-tier architecture consisting of a Client, Software Appliance, and Web-based User Interface (UI), as shown and described in Figure 1.
Figure 1. APARAVI overview.
What Clouds and operating systems does APARAVI support?
- Operating Systems
- Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 10, and Windows 8
- Most major Linux distributions including Ubuntu and Red hat
- Amazon S3 compatible object stores include S3 Glacier and all AWS services
- Google Cloud partners
- Certified Private Clouds (check back this will grow!)
- IBM Bluemix
- And Growing!
What are APARAVI’s differentiating features?
- The most cost-effective SaaS data protection solution that is purpose-built for reducing storage requirements in supported clouds and storage locations.
- Reduces operational expenditures with simple installation and maintenance requirements.
- Reduces long term capital expenditures by eliminating both cloud and software vendor lock-in while greatly reducing storage requirements.
- Built with technology (patent pending) that completes Cloud Active Data Pruning at the file level, reducing the data footprint to the absolute minimum while meeting information governance requirements.
- Open Data Format for Recovery with or without APARAVI Software installed.
- Fast access to archived data.
- Usage-based pricing.
What features are important to a CIO/MSP?
- Meets granularity and flexibility requirements for SLAs and RTOs.
- Architected for data movement efficiency (C++ code) where only data that has changed is moved to storage locations.
- Secure open data format to assure recovery operations regardless of current storage or vendor.
- Point-in-time recovery to quickly find and revert to a prior state or retrieve prior versions for record requests.
- Minimize storage costs by proactively moving data between cloud storage – even supporting easy migration to a private cloud.
- Understand overall data protection big picture with a comprehensive set of tools: storage trends, pruning savings, data spread across multiple clouds.
- Reports on and audits the system usage and access.
What features are important to a Sys-admin?
- Military grade security with AES 256 encryption at the source prior to data being copied from the protected source servers to the secondary copy onsite and ultimately to the cloud for long term protection.
- Open Data Format, documented DLL and publicly available reader ensures that data is available forever without fears of Vendor Lock or incompatibility.
- Minimal source server impact with in-file de-duplication that removes identical portions of individual files alongside delta-byte incremental technology to ensure the minimum amount of data is migrated to your storage locations.
- Policy-driven management allows automatic rule setting and implementation (e.g., Retention time, file inclusion, cloud storage destination) for each protected server.
- Multi-tier, multi-tenant SaaS with central management and intuitive dashboard for reporting, analytics, alerts, and configuration
- Local and remote store/restore for 3-2-1 strategy (three copies of data – two locally on different medium, and one copy offsite).
- RESTful API support for customizing APARAVI core functions, including store and recovery.
What about security?
- APARAVI leverages a defense-in-depth aproach to security. Our platform is hosted by one of the worlds most secure providers, behind mutliple physical and virtual security layers. beyond that none of your data ever hits our servers! our AES encryption is managed by your keys, and APARAVI never has access to your data.
Installation and Updates
How long does it take to implement Aparavi?
One of the major advantages of Aparavi’s Software as a Service (SaaS) is the quick setup time. You only need to install the software appliance and software client and you are done. These two steps could literally take you less than 5 minutes. The default policies will kick in and Aparavi will immediately start backing up your data.
What type of skills are required to install and setup Aparavi?
Not much. You need to know the host name or IP address of the machine on which you will install the Aparavi software appliance. You also need to have access to appliance and client machines to perform the installations. For Windows operating systems, Aparavi software is downloaded as an executable. You simply launch/open the executable and the hands-free installer completes within seconds. For Linux operating systems, you change the installer to executable and then run the installer. That’s it.
How do I roll out Aparavi to many servers at once?
If your intention is to distribute the software client to many different servers, you should opt for the generic installer. The generic installers are located on the Settings -> Support page. First, download the installer (Windows and/or Linux). Then create a configuration file with required parameter values such as the installation path and data directory. Let us know if you want to use the silent installer and we will provide you with documentation and an example file.
How often does Aparavi provide software updates?
Aparavi follows an agile continuous delivery development process. We will not wait to bundle new features into a massive release. Instead, as we develop and sign-off on new features, we will update the software immediately giving maximum value to our customers. Set your expectations to see updates every 2 to 3 weeks.
How do I upgrade Aparavi software?
Most of our customers utilize our auto-update feature. What this means is that as Aparavi releases updates, your software appliances and clients will automatically be updated to the latest software version with no work on your part at all.
How easy is it to switch between cloud storage providers?
Aparavi is continually expanding our list of certified cloud storage vendors. You own your data and you control your storage destiny. If you want to switch from cloud storage vendor A to vendor B, you simply add the login credentials for the new cloud storage and mark it as active. All new archives will be sent to the new cloud storage vendor.
Can Aparavi support multiple cloud storage providers at the same time?
Each software appliance has one active cloud storage vendor. You can have one server archive data to one cloud and another server archive data to a completely different vendor. This flexibility makes it easy to support geographically based storage restrictions or regulations.
How do I make mass-policy changes on hundreds of servers?
One of the major benefits of Aparavi software is the top-down policy driven approach. All you need to do is make the policy change at the desired highest level and all children will inherit the policy settings. As example, if you want to change the long-term data retention from 7 to 8 years, you simply make the change at the top policy, save, and you are done. Each appliance and client will automatically receive policy changes with no additional action on your part.
In what time zone will the snapshots and other jobs run?
In the policy settings for checkpoints, snapshots, and archives you set start and stop times for the time of day in which you want those jobs to run. These times are all local times to the machines on which the tasks are run. As example, you set a company-wide Snapshot start time to 7:00 PM. That means a software client running in the Western US, will perform its snapshot at 7:00 PM PST and a software client in the Central US, will perform its snapshot at 7:00 PM CST.
How do I exclude files from the archives?
Aparavi software defaults several directories to be excluded from the checkpoints and snapshots like the temp directory and recycle bin. If you wish to add to the default settings, go to policies, navigate to the “Include/Exclude Paths” and add additional “Exclude Path” values and save. The next time a checkpoint or snapshot is run, those directories and/or files will be excluded.
How do I know if an archive job failed?
The easiest way to know if an archive job has failed is to setup notifications. Notifications will send emails and/or text messages as events happen or as a summary at the end of the week. When first using Aparavi, you might want to be notified for success and failures as they happen. After you become familiar with the software, you may only want to see a weekly summary.
Where do I go to change the notification phone number or email address?
Go to Settings -> My User Info. You will see your email address and phone number that you entered when signing up for Aparavi. Change the values to the new entries and save. From now on out, notifications (emails and text messages) will be sent to the new recipients.
How do I change my pricing plan?
From within Aparavi, you simply change from one plan to another. Navigate to the Settings -> My Company Info page. Under the “Service Plans” section choose the plan you want and Save. You can change back and forth between plans at any time. The choice is yours.
Is there a way to see detailed information about a software appliance without logging into that machine?
There is no need to login to the software appliance or agent to view Aparavi product information. From the Administrative menu choose Organizations. Then Navigate to the appliance or agent you want to investigate. From the Actions menu icon, choose properties. From the properties screen you can see the scheduled policy tasks, latest log information, and details of the currently running task (if any).
What do I do if I need to retrieve an old version of a file?
For quick retrieval Aparavi stores recent changes locally on the client and appliance. Less recent changes are typically archived to the cloud. Regardless of the location of the data (client, appliance, or cloud) all you need to know is the date from which you wish to retrieve the file(s). Navigate to the Recover menu, locate the machine from which you wish to retrieve file(s), then choose the date and time of when you want to recover the file from. Search and then choose the files you want. In a matter of seconds, the selected files are restored either to the original location or a new location of your choosing.
How do I know what important features are coming out soon?
Aparavi releases product updates as soon as they have completed development and passed our rigorous QA validation process. Directly on the Aparavi website we publish recent updates as well as new features that will be release soon. You check this out at https://www.aparavi.com/product/roadmap/
Managed Service Providers (MSP’s)
Does Aparavi have a partner program for MSP’s?
Aparavi was built with MSP’s in mind. To gather more information, please review our partner page at https://www.aparavi.com/partners/
Does Aparavi host the platform or does the MSP?
The choice is up to you. If you have the physical or virtual infrastructure and would prefer to host the platform yourself, then great! If you would rather let Aparavi host the platform for you, that is fine too.
Will Aparavi rebrand the software to look like our color scheme and logos?
Absolutely. We just need your color scheme and a few logo files to complete the process.
How long does the rebranding process take?
We have completed the rebranding several times and have a good handle on the process. You can expect to have the rebranded software ready to go within a few days.
What is the best approach for managing the cloud storage for our customers?
Most of our MSP’s sign up for one of Aparavi’s certified cloud service providers and manage buckets for their customers within that account. This approach works for your customers who want a complete “hands off” approach. For your customers that want more control, you can work with them to setup their own cloud storage.
What are my billing options for my customers?
We leave that up to you. We will work with you to make certain the billing process is as simple as possible.
How does the support process work for an MSP?
The MSP will handle all the first-line and second-line support. If there is a product bug or feature request, that is when Aparavi will get involved. We will also ensure you are fully-enabled on the platform to service your customers.
What are common tasks I would be performing for my customers?
You would need to install at least one software appliance and install the software client on all the protected machines. After that, you would setup the policies for your customers as to their requests, then just monitor that all goes well and add agents and appliances as your customers grow.
Are the backups full, incremental, or differentials?
The initial snapshot is a full backup. From then on out, Aparavi utilizes an “incremental forever” backup strategy. When you need to retrieve files or directories, it will appear to you that each snapshot is a complete data set.
How many backups are kept on the software appliance?
The default policy setting is set to keep five snapshots on the appliance. We have seen customers keep between 5 and 30 snapshots. As with other policy settings, the flexibility is yours to change the software behavior to meet your business requirements.
What if I don’t want to keep local checkpoints?
Checkpoints are beneficial because they allow you to quickly retrieve files that were recently (within the current day) corrupted or lost. These checkpoints are stored on the protected machine itself. If you would rather not include checkpoints, you can turn them off and instead utilize snapshots on the software appliance.
Can I use cloud storage gateways for the backup storage?
Yes. To utilize the elasticity of cloud storage, you could mount a cloud storage gateway to the appliance machine. You could use this mount point as the repository for all the snapshots. Just be aware that the snapshot storage time will be affected since snapshot data will now pass over the internet instead of your organization’s LAN.
What happens if my appliance goes offline?
If you have setup the policy to include checkpoints, the checkpoints will continue to protect your source server until the appliance comes back online. Once the appliance comes back online, a snapshot / backup will be performed. Upon the snapshot completion, all the checkpoints on the agent’s local storage will be removed.
What files are included in the backup?
The included (and excluded) files are controlled in the policy. To keep things simple, the default policy is “all in”, meaning all accessible directories and files are included in the backup. However, the control is completely yours as to what to include or exclude.
How often does Aparavi perform a backup?
Backups are based upon the schedule you define on the policy. The default policy is to take one backup at the end of the day from Monday through Friday. But, you can tailor the backup schedule per your needs with just a few mouse clicks.